What is Sheep Genetics
The purpose of Sheep Genetics is to improve the quality, scope and utilisation of across-flock, and where appropriate, across breed genetic information for the Australian sheep industry.
Sheep Genetics is a not for profit service operating for the benefit of Australian sheep producers.
Sheep Genetics provides a single national language in the form of Australian Sheep Breeding Values ASBVs
- ASBVs are available across flock and, where appropriate, across breeds
- Breeders retain direct ownership of their data
- ASBVs are updated twice monthly for a range of commercially relevant traits that impact on all sectors of the sheep industry
- ASBVs are designed to be used to compare the genetic potential of animals independent of the environment and location
- A database of some 3 million animals, reflecting data from more than 1000 flocks around Australia.
Together with the Australian sheep industry, MLA and AWI have facilitated genetic evaluation for prime lamb and wool producers.
*Care of sheepgenetics.org.au
Tom Silcock is currently an executive member of the Australian Ewe Lifetime Productivity Trial, and Chairman of Australian Merino Sire Evaluation Association and the Elders Balmoral Sire Evaluation Trial.